3.04.2011

Lessons From a Crazy Dog Lady


Day two as a dog owner. The fun was just beginning.

"Hapiness is a warm puppy." – Charles M. Schulz
Happy Friday! Right now, I’m reading a great book called A Dog’s Purpose, and it inspired me to write about my pooch (as if I need much prompting). Those who know me personally are probably sick of hearing about little Bowsie. It’s not that I don’t notice your eyes glazing over – I don’t care that you don’t care, because you’re going to listen to me anyway :) From Bowser’s own facebook fanpage, to his permanent spot in our queen-size, memory foam bed, Bowser most certainly rules the roost.

It’s been almost a full year since we brought home our Shiba Inu . Having a dog is the best thing that has ever happened to me (besides meeting Boyfriend of course). Even though we had adventurous beginnings, Bowser has changed both of our lives for the better and has brought about some pawsitive (oh yes I went there) changes and taught us valuable life lessons.

Here are just some of the things I've learned over the last year:

10. Owning a dog makes you obsessed with all things dog: Okay, maybe this one just pertains to me and not all dog owners, I read tons of dog-related material, watch dog shows and yes…I just finished listening to a “pawdcast.” Are you really surprised that my power animal is a dog? You should be scared that I even looked up my power animal to begin with.

9. People tend to be nicer if you’re with a dog: Random people come up to me all the time and want to pet Bowser and start a conversation. I don’t mind, really. If someone had randomly walked up to me just to chat before I had Bowser, I would have been really creeped out. Something about a dog neutralizes even the most awkward social settings. The neighbors that never spoke a word to our family despite having lived next door for decades suddenly broke their silence when they saw me walking Bowser on a recent visit. Of course, they wanted to talk dog.

8. Dogs introduce you to new friends: I’ve befriended just about all of our neighbors with dogs (except for the ones with dogs that don’t get along with Bowser – our dogs’ social conflicts have crossed into human territory). We get together for play dates so our dogs can hang out, and only know each other by our dogs’ names: Spot’s Mom and Dad, Bowser’s Crazy Mom. We are like-minded people that have somehow found ourselves in some kind of dog cult.

7. Dogs make you more responsible: My life B.B. (Before Bowser) was more adventurous and prone to impromptu nights on the town involving alcoholic binges. Now, A.B. (After Bowser) I can’t leave more than half a day without feeling guilty that I left the pooch solo. I have to plan wild nights out ahead of time, or make other arrangements for the dog. And yes, he has gone to doggy day camp. It really is like having a kid, and this is as close as I’m willing to get to motherhood for the time being. You can’t leave your kid in a cage while you go to work, although that would significantly reduce the cost of childcare.

6. Dogs make you more compassionate: B.B., I would watch those Sarah McLachlan commercials with the abused dogs and not even flinch. A.B., I have to change the channel. I feel like Brian the dog on Family Guy when he discovers he has a son “Until you have a child. UNTIL. YOU. HAVE. A. CHILD. YOU HAVE NO IDEA!” I also find myself interested in other animals in a way that I wasn’t before. It’s no surprise that our TV is usually parked on Animal Planet.

5. Dogs make you more affectionate: I used to think that people who let their dogs kiss them on the mouth were sick, sick people. And now, I love Bowsie kisses – even on the mouth. He gets hugs. He gets cuddled. And don’t get me started on the puppy dog eyes - they can make anyone melt. Bowser is just like that cat in Shrek – he knows how to turn on the charm at the most convenient of times. During dinner, you’ll find his big brown eyes looking up at you, resting his chin softly in your lap, periodically looking from your plate to you. Even though he just ate, it’s hard to resist giving him a nibble of your dinner.

4. Dogs make you celebrate everything: When we first got Bowser, our trainer told me that I wasn’t talking to him in a very encouraging tone when he did something good. I learned what was referred to as “having a dog party.” You have to speak to them in a tone that sounds like they just did the best thing in the entire world, even its something like a taking a shit. And it worked. I learned that even dog crap deserves a dog party.

3. Dogs make you forgive more readily: I have lost many items since owning a dog. While I have definitely reprimanded him for the shoes, computer cords, books, dvds, etc., that are no longer in my possession, you realize that those are not the important things in life. They need to understand that their actions were not okay, but you both get over it as soon as he gives you a kiss. And then you learn to dog-proof your house.

2. Dogs make you more patient: Training a puppy took a level of patience I didn’t know I possessed. You think it’s just a matter of repeating a few simple commands to train a dog, but it’s a matter of committing (and sacrificing) your time and changing your schedule to accommodate caring for a baby animal. This means getting your ass out of bed at 4 a.m. because they’re whining to go potty, or going on a long walk in the rain, even though you want nothing more than to lay on the couch in your sweats. Or paying $80 at the dry cleaners because they had accidents on both of your down comforters – and realizing it’s your fault because you failed to take them out before heading to bed. Owning a dog is not like owning a cute fashion accessory that would be nice to have. Owning a dog becomes a part of your lifestyle.

1. Dogs make you appreciate the smaller things in life: Coming home to a puppy that’s excited to see you, is absolutely the best thing in the world. It’s instant appreciation after a day of working your butt off and not getting recognized for it. The stress of work melts away, and you realize it doesn’t define your life. Even though getting jumped on and licked in the face isn’t the best dog behavior to encourage, it reminds you that you’re appreciated and loved no matter what. Bowser made me realize that showing appreciation is really the key to just about any relationship, canine or human. Simply saying thank you, or I love you, or I noticed that you did “____”, really makes a difference in relationship satisfaction.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but if a puppy was there when they broke, it probably wouldn’t hurt as bad.

1 comment: