12.30.2011

What do you mean it's already 2012?



Now that the new year is upon us, 2011 is certainly leaving me wondering when childhood ended and adulthood began. I’ve pondered this before in previous posts, but aside from landing a full-time job, nothing feels more adult than a ring on your finger. Shouldn’t I still be listening to Mmmbop and practicing how to parallel park for my driving test? What do you mean my friends have kids? Where the hell did time go?


Since I pretty much abandoned my readers this holiday season, let me fill you in on where the last month went at least. As for the other 11 months (or last 10 years for that matter), I really can’t tell ya.

  • I managed to avoid getting overly drunk at my department’s holiday shin dig this year (although last year’s conversation, which has been aptly titled “Confessions of Hanson Fan,” was brought up again).
  • Fiance (still getting used to that word!) and I visited the snowy, Christmas-y, Bavarian town of Leavenworth, WA and ate delicious German food. I am now a huge fan of red sauerkraut.
  • We celebrated all kinds of holiday merriment with our families.
  • We may have found a good method to celebrate with all of our families without dragging ourselves around the entire state of Washington in a single day.

In all, I was able to keep my cool much better than I did last year. No Grinch here this holiday season!

As fun as the holidays were, nothing has quelled my excitement for our upcoming nuptials – best holiday event by far! But with that said, nothing can be more heinous than listening to someone talk/bitch/freak out about their wedding 24/7. Due to my personal experiences with Bridezillas, I’m determined not to become one. I have granted everyone permission to call me out, and/or use a safety word (banana) if I’m talking wedding way too much or being a downright pill. I’m not kidding. That’s how much I don’t want to piss people off. In fact, I promise not to blog about it too much. Sticks and Stones is not about to turn into theotherknot.com (btw, theknot.com has got to be the most overwhelming website in the history of the world wide web).

Anywho, the only thing I’ll say is that we’re getting married October 6th. We’ll have a fabulous autumn wedding, with plenty of time to plan, try on dresses (yay!) and make honeymoon arrangements (double yay!).

So, I’m charging into 2012 with these goals in mind:

  1. Keep calm and carry on- no Bridezilla!
  2. Do a better job investing in my health (a.k.a lose weight). And/or purchase a forgiving dress.
  3. Survive whatever happens if the world decides to implode on Dec. 21, 2012 (but that’s after the wedding/honeymoon so…whatevs).

I have a feeling that 2012 is going to be a good year indeed!

And now - on to our New Year’s Eve celebration!


Sticks and stones may break your bones, but if you always party like it’s 1999, you’ll be confused when you realize 2012 has rolled around.

No comments:

Post a Comment