4.13.2011

Hips, Crooks and Cash


Trust me - I'm a doctor.
 I just called out my physical therapy office on a billing error and saved myself from paying $250. I love when that happens – unfortunately, it doesn’t happen often enough. Speaking of medical bills, we’re still trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my hip. Yup. STILL.

I’ve had three months of physical therapy, two different kinds of MRIs and a horribly painful Novocaine injection and the doctors are still scratching their heads. Not to mention, even though I have awesome insurance, I’ve already paid at least $600 in out-of-pocket medical expenses for these tests and treatments. What an expensive little experiment they’re doing.

Anyway, the last I heard is that even though I did experience pain with the Novocaine injection (like “I feel the damn needle hitting my hip bone and I’m going to deck you” pain, which later became “I cannot walk it hurts so bad” pain), they still suspect a cartilage tear in my hip joint, though nothing they’ve tried is conclusive.

When the doc gets back from vacation (must be nice) they’re going to refer me to an orthopedic surgeon, who I hope to god figures this out before they start cutting me open for more medical experiments. Didn’t I blog about needing this referral oh…in February? They sure care about their patients being in chronic pain.

Our health care system is full of crooks. Just like our government.

Until then, I’m still hanging onto hopes of being able to run pain-free one day. So far, no one has told me it’s not a possibility.

This week, I began “Operation Be Less Fat” which I can’t say has gone completely well – I baked some oatmeal cookies on Sunday that seem to keep calling my name even when I’m completely full. But I have been consistent in going on long walks with my dog after work. You gotta start somewhere.

Today, I am going to try to hop on the elliptical again to see if that hurts. I’ve gained about 10 pounds and a dress size back since my injury and it totally sucks. Good thing I kept my fat pants.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but god help you if you break or tear anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment